Saturday, April 20, 2013

This is Kate's Fiber Arts blog.  I am Kate and I have been interested in fiber and fiber arts since I was 9 years old when I asked my mom to teach me to knit.  She told me she did not know how to teach me and I would have to watch and learn on my own.  So, I taught myself.

Of course, my fascination has grown and progressed from knitting to crocheting to spinning and finally to weaving.  My goal has been to have my own sheep and produce wool for hand spinners.  I even got Border Collies and learned to herd with them so that I would be ready for my life as a shepherd.  Then circumstances intervened in an unexpected way.  I had to put my dream on hold and focus on other parts of my life.

Now, I find myself living on ranch where alpacas are raised.  The ranch is Alpacas at Windy Hill and there are almost 200 beautiful alpacas here.  And, what fiber!!!!!!!  So, while I still love sheep and wool, I am discovering and delighting in the use of alpaca for the creation of textiles.

I thought that this blog would be a way for me to "meet" other fiber artists who have similar interests and experiences.  I am hoping that this will turn into a dialogue and that we can develop a large community dedicated to using fiber.

If you have thoughts or comments, share them.  In my other life I am a researcher, maybe we can use those skills to get answers to some of the questions we might have.  Any way, I look forward to hearing from you.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment